Thursday, December 14, 2006

Weird: My First and Last Response to A Meme

I used to see these things on blogs called memes and think to myself, boy, I am glad I am a lurker and don’t have to participate in those things. But now I have been tagged by Frectis. According to the rules: Each player of this game starts with the “6 Weird Things About You”. People who get tagged need to write a blog of their own 6 weird things as well as state the rule clearly. After you’re done, tag six people by listing them on your blog and leaving a note in their comments section.

Let me start by saying this. I set this blog up in July but didn’t get the courage to write anything until October. Right now, I delete half of what I post and, in the remaining posts, I am usually apologizing about something I just wrote. I'm not sure I can reveal six weird things about myself on this blog. But I don’t want to offend my new blogger friend Frectis, so I am going to try.

1. I think the fact that I have this blog is a little weird. I am fascinated by your jobs as healthcare professionals. I want to know what your job is; what it entails, how you learned to do it; why you do it; whether you like it. I want to know about your relationships with your co-workers; how your job affects your personal life, etc. And let me just take this opportunity now to thank you for letting me, a clueless layperson, have a glimpse into your world.

2. I can’t keep an ATM card. Tonight I just activated my 4th card this year. The first card was left in the bank’s ATM machine (grabbed the cash, left the card). The second card was in my purse that got stolen. (Free advice, always take your purse with you. Do not try to hide your purse by stuffing it under the seat, even if it is broad daylight, you are parked in front of a ritzy dress shop in the rich neighborhood, and you’re only going to be in there a few minutes.) Third card, don’t know where it is.

3. My nails (fingers and toes) must be perfectly manicured at all times. I hate it when they don't look nice. I never wear nail polish on my fingernails; they are always buffed. Toenails are always a shade of red; never any other color. And since I never mastered the art of the home manicure, I spend an inordinate amount of time and money at the “Nail Place”.

4. The place where I work is kind of weird. Today, junior partner stops by my office, tells me to meet him in the conference room, then heads in the opposite direction. I see this as an opportunity to make a pit stop, so I head for the ladies room. Right when I get to the restroom door, junior partner, in the lobby surrounded by other attorneys, yells out “Hey M.A., I didn’t mean that conference room, I meant the other conference room.” If he had been alone, I would have flipped him off.

5. I've been told I have weird eating habits. Tonight I was on my own for dinner. It consisted of half a pint of Haagen Dazs strawberry ice cream, eaten in bed while I watched Survivor. The weirdest part is, I had been happily looking forward to doing this all day and couldn't wait to get home.

6. I am deathly afraid of turtles, large or small. I’m not too comfortable around clowns either.

I just don't have the heart to tag anyone else. But please feel free to list all of your weird traits in the comment section. I mean, it's only fair.

I think I am going to go visit Dr. Dinah at Shrink Rap now.

Update: A Lurker's Dream Come True

I think I have been banned from making comments on other people's blogs (I apologized, what more do you want from me?). Or else I'm having technical difficulties. Blogger won't let me log into the comment section of other blogs.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I like to stand when taking the bus, even if there are empty seats.

2. I love granola. Mixed in yogurt.

3. Strong dislike of coffee despite late nights and early mornings.

4. Eats radishes as a snack

5. Highly adept elastic-band rope-maker.

6. Loves to sleep outdoors.

Anonymous said...

1) I'm obsessively tidy at home and work but my car is like a bird's nest full of crumbs, snack papers, mineral water bottles, and general debris.

2) I'm confident AND shy. People seem to find this weird, but it's not really. To me it's perfectly normal. Of course, it occasionally makes me appear arrogant, but that's all part of the fun

3) I have a small plush toy which I like to photograph

4) I had two big, peer-reviewed papers accepted by a journal, one week after I lost my job (not weird, just sadly ironic)

5) I prefer vinyl to CDs. I have an iPod but rarely use it

6) My next holiday is a surgical camp in a third world country

Medblog Addict said...

Since I can't make a comment on Patient Anonymous's blog, I will make it here: I have never heard it said in a professional setting. But since I got (attorney)Boyfriend some scrubs, I occasionally hear it at home. (Just joking. I know this will be deleted after my meeting!) Thanks for adding me to your blogroll. I like how you combined the two names. Very clever. I never would have thought of it.

To the rest of you, thanks for commenting. I am running late and will come back later so I can take my time reading them.

MedStudentGod (MSG) said...

I'm having trouble as well. I think there might be something with Beta that won't allow you to comment if you're still on the old Blogger. All I know is that that's one more step towards making this switch mandatory for all involved.

Anonymous said...

Someone recently told me they'd had trouble posting comments on my blog as well. I assume, based on other comments, that there is indeed a problem. I don't know how to ban someone, but if I did, it would only be the guy who (twice) has posted a link to his bogus drug-selling site. I trashed him, of course. Your "weird" items are quite endearing, really, Especially the Hagen Dasz, though it'd have to contain chocolate if it were me.

Anonymous said...

Hey MBA...I don't know if you have an MBA but since you think I'm clever at combining things, I'll do another and make an acronym out of you as medblog addict hehe. Glad to add you to my site as I'm always filled with glee when people (a few...) add me to theirs (no, this is not a shameless plug...well, maybe--read my blog and judge for yourself, people.)

Okay, I am supremely ticked at blogger as people keep telling me they can't comment!!!

*bangs head on desk*

Weird is good! It's all relative and I kind of like quirkiness. I find it endearing. Maybe it comes from being an outsider all my life haha. I too love hospitalphoenix's #3! Okay, some "weird" things about PA:

1. I have sensory issues. I can't stand it when the bottom of my socks "stick" to my feet but I like wearing socks all the time--not a barefoot person--hyposensitive in the footy dept.

2. Some more related stimmy stuff (even though I'm not on the Autism Spectrum...) I stir and stir and stir and stir beverages uncontrollably (tea, anything that needs to be mixed.) It can drive people crazy and I got yelled at to stop it as a kid. I find it soothing and fun! Yes, I like lights and fans and spinning too. I have friends with a son who is autistic and his mom says I sometimes remind her of him. This makes me simultaneously wonder about things and be happy. He's an awesome kid.

3. I don't like to dance even though I have the ability to.

4. Ever since I stopped owning a car a few years ago, I somehow lost all geographic knowledge of the city I live in. How does that happen?

5. Small talk (especially at parties--kill me now...) bores the hell out of me but I fake it--to be polite.

6. Oh, this is a good one! I will only write in black ink.

7. I'm sure there's more and I'll give you one extra here. I absolutely adore primates. I must find a way to hold a chimp or an orangutan or some member of the group before I die.

Probably more weird but lacking in imagination right now...
PA

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

p.s. Re:blogger glitches - I also notice that my little icon pic of seaspray splashing up from the rocks isn't going on with the comments anywhere.

Steve & Barb said...

I think I did something like this before, but what the heck.
1-leaves the tips of french fries
2-doesn't like coconut
3-Tivo is set to find "Max Headroom"
4-suspects he's a CYP2D6 extensive metabolizer
5-likes broccoli
6-talks about self in third person

Anonymous said...

LOL MBA, thanks for playing along with the meme, however painful it was for you ;)

#1 Dinosaur said...

Blogger beta doesn't recognize me when I try to sign in on a blogger account. Hence a few choice remarks have been left unmade of late. Although I haven't tried leaving them as "other" or "anonymous" (and then signing them inside the comment.) 'Tis nothing personal against you. Despite all your protestations, you are a welcome and amusing addition to the fray.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for removing it! :)

Dinah said...

Hi and thanks for visiting Shrink Rap. I think I've followed Roy here. Mostly, I don't know what he's talking about(Max Headroom?) and why is it weird to like broccoli? It's a great vegetable.
I'll send ClinkShrink over as well.

6 weird things about me?
Let's not go there.

Anonymous said...

Me? WEird??

1. I cannot, will not, sit down to eat supper until I have take my shower.

2. I will invariably sit down to eat said supper and THEN remember I have not fed the fish, thereby having to get up and feed fish then return to meal.

3. I have never been diagnosed with anything other than depression and panic attacks, but numbers 1 & 2 appear awful obssessive and/or compuslive to me.

4. I saw this on someone elses list and couldn't believe I am not the only one, but I too leave the tips of french fries on my plate.

5. I secretly wish I were invisible so that I could go out and do the things I used to enjoy before I started having panic attacks.

6. I love ketchup and mustard on scrambled eggs.