Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Nosy Thanksgiving Questions

Thanksgiving is my favorite “eating” holiday. And I’m nosy. I want to know what y’all are eating for Thanksgiving. Favorite dish? Your specialty dish?

I will go first. My favorite dish is dressing…cornbread, of course. My cooking skills aren’t exactly what you’d call consistent, so when I’m asked to bring something, I always opt for the relish plate and crudités. Now just wait before you start writing that comment about me taking the easy job. I personally wash and cut up each vegetable, create the presentation on the platter, and make the dips. More importantly, I make vegetable animals. My radish mice are famous. When I was looking for a picture to post, I came across these instructions. I make the squash duck too, but the mice always get the most attention. The mice in this picture are cute, but mine are cuter, plus mine have eyes (at least until someone removes the eyes from three of the mice and starts singing).


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun. Dressing is the best. My specialty is pumpkin pecan pie. I bring copies of the recipe with me because I know I'll be asked for it. Happy Thanksgiving.

Doc's Girl said...

Hehe...cute about the mice...:)

Resident boyfriend and my family have always had a tendency to order Boston Market for Thanksgiving but I like to make desserts. This year, with being out of state, and not having all the supplies/spices/cookware, I'm just baking brownies.

Normally, I made spiced peach cobbler...or rice pudding...or whatever I find appealing. :-P

I miss out kitchen...:(

Carver said...

My favorite dish is also the cornbread dressing and I like it baked. One year, I stuffed the bird (when none of us were vegetarians) and I put scallops in the stuffing inside the bird which was great but I also did a baked dressing. I REALLY like the dressing. This year my ex-H is cooking and I'm bringing the yeast rolls and cognac, almond, apples. I have no idea what the rest of the meal will be as my friend-exH hasn't told me. Happy Thanksgiving, Carver

tk said...

Just the three of us this year, so I'll make the entire traditional meal . . . Then we'll hit the movies!

jmb said...

My specialty is pumpkin cheesecake. We've already had Thanksgiving here in Canada,so Happy Thanksgiving to you MBA

MedStudentGod (MSG) said...

My favorite has to be the turkey. I love it and drowning it in gravy is heaven! After that it has to pumpkin pie. The problem is I don't make any of these and Wife doesn't like to eat this kind of food. She is nice enough, however, to make it this one time for me.

Anonymous said...

I actually have to admit to having two items I can't stand - pumpkin pie and sweet potatoes... My entire family loves them both, but I can't stand them... But I do like to pull the crusty baked marshmellows off the top of the sweet potatoes!

Alex Stoker said...

Thanks hun. I always try to portrya the 'naked shroom' although moslty not quite so literally. Franklt I'd rather the picture cast me in a better light, but you gotta play the hand you're dealt.
Trust all is well in the land of the law.

S

Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

Stuffing with cranberry sauce next to it, Take a little bit in each mouthful. Hmmmm!

Sid Schwab said...

Your nephew needs to get his shit together. No way that's a lawyer joke.

Anonymous said...

I really don't like the traditional meal. Not even George Clooney by candlelight could turn this around for me...and that's saying something.

The only saving grace is the satisfying sluuuuuurp noise of the cranberry jelly leaving the can. It pleases me.

Medblog Addict said...

Thanks for the comments, y'all. (except for Dr. Schwab--turkey - lawyer - lawyer - turkey; aw, forget it, turkey). I really do enjoy hearing what other people like to eat (or not eat) on Thanksgiving.