Saturday, May 12, 2007

Rescued by a Nurse

Last week, a very kindhearted nurse came to my rescue in a non-medical, non-emergency situation.

I left work around 8:30. BF was out of town and I was driving his car (way more fun to drive than my SUV). It was raining, but I didn’t think it had rained enough to be worried about street flooding. Boy, was I wrong. I was driving along, and then WHAM! I was in high water. I thought I would be smart and take a shortcut through a nearby neighborhood to get to our house. Big mistake. The water only got deeper. I am in BF’s very low-riding car. The rain is now pouring down, lightening everywhere. I can’t see. The car in front of me stalls. The water is up in people’s yards and I can’t see the driveways but I have to get to higher ground so I just turn and hope for the best. Fortunately I hit the driveway and pull up close to the house. Then I just sit and wait in the middle of the rain and lightening.

I call BF to let him know what’s going on, i.e., his car is okay, and oh, by the way, so am I. Then the hail starts. Hail so large BF can hear it hitting the car and asks “what’s that noise?”. Umm, I don’t know, I think I need to get off the phone now and save the battery.

I’m tired, hungry, have to use the bathroom, and stuck in the middle of a thunderstorm with nowhere to go. The rain dies down a little and I think about walking home, but its dark and I’m not that familiar with the neighborhood.

Then the homeowner comes out to the car. She invites me in out of the rain, and offers me her bathroom, food and drink. Her husband is stuck somewhere and can’t get into the neighborhood. Instead of watching the weathermen tell us it’s raining outside, we watched movies on her giant screen television all night while we waited for the rain to stop. Her husband came home around 5:00 a.m. bearing warm doughnuts. I definitely pulled into the right driveway that night.

Turns out she is a nurse at a nearby hospital. Thank you, Nurse Nancy.

10 comments:

Doc's Girl said...

Wow! That was really, really nice...

#1 Dinosaur said...

How scary! Perfect house to pull into indeed.

SeaSpray said...

Glad that all worked out for you. Sounds like it could've been a lot worse for you. Nice Lady! :)

Did the hail damage his car?

ERnursey said...

It's nice to know there are still some neighborly people in the world.

MarlaQuack said...

What a cool story!

Marla

Anonymous said...

I gotta admit, I check back every day for the new lawyer jokes... I feel really let down when they haven't changed!

By the way, You've been tagged for a blog meme. No fair posting it and then deleting it, either...

deatils at my blog!

John

Anonymous said...

what happened to flea?

MM said...

I just found your blog and I am highly amused! Can't believe I haven't come across it before.

Your situation sounded scary, you definitely picked the right driveway!

The Tundra PA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Medblog Addict said...

Sorry Tundra PA. I had to delete your nice comment. Your guess re: my location was correct. I am trying to avoid giving out too much information on my blog. I hope you understand.