Thursday, October 11, 2007

I Like Free Stuff (Or, I'm Playing With My New Printer Again)

I love shopping at the mall, but I don't go very often because it usually means trouble. I lose all track of time and get way behind schedule. I've had to wrap gifts in the car on the way to parties more than once, which for some reason really annoys the hell out of BF. Yes, I know stores will wrap gifts, but I am semi-famous among my family and friends for my unique and festive gift wrapping abilities, so I like to do it myself, even if I have to do it cramped in the car.

The mall is also a good place to get free stuff. There's nothing I like more than getting free stuff. I've been known to buy stuff I don't need or want, just to get the free stuff (usually more stuff I don't need or want--but it's free). My strategy is simple, I just act interested, and I may get a few free samples of cosmetics, perfume, etc. You know, fun stuff.

So I was at the mall, heading for Sephora, because I wanted to see if they had the lip plumper that I saw on an infomercial. Hey, don't laugh, it has the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval, so it must work. Anyway, on my way there, I saw the L'Occitane store and decided to go in there and see what rich people smell like.

Sales Guy saw me walk in and immediately asked me if I wanted to put all my smaller bags in two larger bags. Well, sure I do. I love those free shopping bags. I'm in a closet and drawer cleaning frenzy right now and those bags come in handy for carting stuff to the Women's Center. But I don't think he was necessarily trying to be helpful, he just recognized I was an accident waiting to happen and he didn't want to be cleaning up stuff I knocked over with my bags. (BTW, I also walked through two department stores where I know they will ask if they can put your stuff in their bags when they see you carrying a competitor's shopping bag. I walked out of the mall with 8 large bags and 6 smaller bags. Free stuff that I can actually use.)

Sales Guy was very nice, and after I told him I wasn't going to buy anything, I just came in to smell, he took me on a tour of the place.

As I was leaving, Sales Guy asked me if I wanted some free samples. For some reason, I told him no thanks, and I turned to leave. He refused to let me leave without free samples and filled a small shopping bag with all of these goodies:



So now, I'm thinking my new strategy will be to refuse samples, and maybe I will get even more free stuff.

Okay, I realize this isn't a particularly interesting post, but it did serve a purpose. It gave me a chance to see what other tricks my new printer can perform. I learned that I can pile a bunch of crap on top of my printer, press a button, and Voila! I have a picture for my blog. I know, I know, any fifth grader already knows this. The only complaint I have is, the picture isn't big enough to illustrate how many goodies I actually walked away with.

11 comments:

Doc's Girl said...

MA - Too cute....lol...made me laugh and made me wonder if you have any distant relatives that are Indian. :-P

Free stuff is awesome! Strong work! :) :)

tk said...

I love it! (And now you don't have to provide a photo credit . . . lol)

Anonymous said...

I love L'Occitane! Next time I'm going with YOU, though...I never get more than 2 samples and I have to actually buy something to do that!

What do rich people smell like....hmmm, could be a blog post. ;o)

I'm not rich, but thanks to L'Occitane's little purse-size tube, my hands often smell like lavender.

SeaSpray said...

Great post M.A.! I'm all for free stuff! Just the word...f-r-e-e has such wonderful connotations. Free stuff, being f-r-e-e...all good.

Ya made me laugh!

Carver said...

Very nice graphics and you made me laugh too. Cheers, Carver

Medblog Addict said...

Thanks for stopping by, y'all. I am actually going to spend this weekend packing up a lot of old free stuff to make room for new free stuff. I always take the free stuff in hotels, plus BF and my friends and family bring stuff home to me when they travel, so I have tons of sample size items. The women's shelter I take these things to really seem to appreciate it; I hope they do because they are going to get a few bags of it next week.

jmb said...

I love L'Occitane too. Especially the store in NYC. Once I was there when they were doing a big promo and they had people giving free samples outside as well, even chocolates. You really scored there.
Is your new printer a three-in-one?
regards
jmb

Lynn Price said...

Ah, valuable information in them thar words, MA. Act like you're not interested and get more free stuff. Guess my hang dog look of desperation wasn't having the desired effect. Most excellent. Can't wait to hit the mall...

Medblog Addict said...

Chocolate free stuff is the best! My new printer is a 4 in one. It is also a fax machine. I really like playing with it.

Sid Schwab said...

Thanks for dropping by the other day. Not a moment too soon...

Amanda said...

For the love of god, woman, MEME ME. I have nothing, NOTHING original to say that can't get me Flea'd.

(yes, I'm using your comments section to beg you for a memeing... I'm pitiful that way)

:)