Monday, December 15, 2008

Code Blog Gets Four Calling Birds


On the fourth day of Christmas, your true love gave to you, four calling birds! What exactly is a calling bird, and who are they calling?

They are auctioneer birds, and they are calling, um, bird auctions.

Q.1 When did you decide you wanted to be a nurse?

In high school. My mother is a nurse and hospitals interested me. I was a volunteer at the hospital when I was young; then I took a CNA class and worked as a nurse's aide at the end of high school and throughout college.

Q.2 What’s the best part of your job? The worst?

The unit I work in is circular. The thing I love to see the most is when patients are well enough to do "laps." Working in an ICU, that's a rare sight. The worst (by far) is when we keep people alive long past the point when any sort of recovery was possible.

Q.3 Did you have another career before you became a nurse?

Besides being a Sandwich Maker at Subway?

Q.4 Is this really a true story? A nurse caring for a woman from Kentucky asked,

"So how's your breakfast this morning?" "It's very good, except for the Kentucky Jelly. I can't seem to get used to the taste," the patient replied. The nurse asked to see the jelly and the woman produced a foil packet labeled "KY Jelly."


I am almost certain this has happened somewhere at some point in time.

Q.5 A lot of people get to my site after googling things like “hot nurses”. Y’all seem to have quite the reputation. Do patients ever hit on you?

Yes. Usually the married 75 year old men.

Q.6 When did you first hear the expression “nurses eat their young”?

In college. It made me scared to be a nurse. But I had hospital experience under my belt and deep down, I knew better. There are some nurses who would rather spit in your general direction than help you, but the vast majority of nurses are great teachers; those that aren't great teachers are happy to help in other ways.

Q.7 What’s the most useless thing you have ever bought?

I bought a car on a Sunday once. I could not reach my car insurance agent and the dealer would not let me drive the car off the lot without insurance. So I had to buy insurance through his broker (who happens to work on the weekends). Then I found out that I was covered regardless... all I had to do was provide my current insurance card and it would have been fine; I could have updated it the next day. Nice that the dealer didn't tell me that... I'm sure he got a kickback from his weekend broker. Of course a large portion of it was unrefundable. Grrrr.

Q.8 If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

My chosen superpower would be the ability to understand and converse in any language without having to learn it.

Q.9 Tell us about the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you on the job.

I don't think this is the most embarrassing thing that's happened, but when I first started at this hospital, I started in inpatient dialysis. Dialysis nurses are quite autonomous and they usually work alone. Since you have to drag a dialysis machine, a reverse osmosis machine, and a supply cart to every new dialysis patient, you get good at hauling them all at once so you don't have to go back and forth to the office. It's tricky but can be done.

On my first day, I was training with a nurse and we had to go dialyze an ICU patient. She proceeded to take all 3 machines/cart with her and absolutely refused my several offers to help. I felt really dumb walking in the halls behind this person that was juggling 3 unwieldy items. Then, when we got to the ICU, one of the nephrologists saw her hauling all 3 things and asked if she could help her... and the nurse said yes!!! I felt stupid.

Q.10 What food do you absolutely hate and will never eat?

I can't say that I hate it, because I haven't tried the majority of it - but I never eat seafood. Never. If it comes out of the water, I do not eat it.

Q.11 What’s the name of one movie that you watch over and over?

I don't watch it over and over, but if I see it on TV, I cannot change the channel until it's over: The Big Lebowski!

Q.12 For the most part, nurses and doctors don’t really bitch about each other in the medblogs. Is that because there is not that much to bitch about or are y’all just playing nice on your medblogs?

I try to remain respectful of my coworkers on my blog. It's public and many people I work with know that I have a blog. I have vented a time or two, though. I don't think the people I vented about ever knew and I was probably ambiguous enough that my coworkers were not aware of who I was writing about.

Q.13 What do your co-workers do that really irritate you?

I don't like it when I'm in charge and I have to float someone, or deny someone their request to go home and they sulk about it.I used to sulk about it until I was the one doling out the bad news. Now I just deal with it. It isn't the charge's fault... it's just how it goes.

Q.14 Tell me the craziest thing you have ever seen at one of those wild hospital Christmas parties I’m always hearing about.

Sorry to disappoint but I have never been to one :-)

Holiday Quickfire Questions.

Favorite…

a. reindeer - toss up between Blitzen and Comet

b. cookie - those peanut butter cookies with the hershey kiss in the middle

c. carol - O Holy Night

d. holiday television show - A Charlie Brown Christmas... I love when the characters dance :)

e. activity - We do this thing on Christmas Eve where we get a goofy present and play the game where you pick a number and choose a gift accordingly - then the people that open gifts after you can either chose their own or steal yours away. I love that game. It's always so interesting to see what the "hot" gift is. One year it was a Maglite flashlight set - who knew everyone wanted one of those??


Thank you for being my fourth day of Christmas, Geena at CodeBlog.

No comments: