Thursday, November 13, 2008

Rejected Post #4 - Yuck

[I just hated having this picture on my blog.]





RNPS PICTURES OF THE YEAR - A crocodile at a zoo in the southern Taiwan city of Kaohsiung holds the forearm of a zoo veterinarian in between its teeth, April 11, 2007. The crocodile bit off the arm of the zoo veterinarian treating it, an official reported. .REUTERS/Frank Lin (TAIWAN)


Okay, I admit it. I'm gullible; I believed the Richard Gere gerbil story.


This doesn't look like a real arm, but would Yahoo lie to me?

2 comments:

Alex Stoker said...

Tho I am given to believe that there was a genuine case report, from Salt Lake City, of gerbil per rectum, and have removed one myself. (Actually, it might not have been a gerbil...)

Anonymous said...

I'm not a croc expert, or an arm expert. It seems to me that the photo is extremely unlikely.

o The piece of arm is exactly perpendicular to the croc's jaw. Crocs move forward to bite. Was the vet holding out his arm for the croc to bite it from the side?

o The arm is just inside all of the front teeth. You would think that one or two of the teeth would be in the arm. This bite is low probability.

o A croc's teeth are designed to catch and hold, not to bite clean as displayed in the photo. There should be a torn arm extending to the right in the photo, or even the entire veterenarian.