Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Rejected Post #2 - A Tale of Two Secretaries

[I don't know. I just didn't like this post, so I never published it.]

In recognition of Administrative Professionals Week, I will tell you about two of the secretaries we have working here at the firm. Both have two children between the ages of 3 and 8. One is married, one is not.

The married secretary is out at least 5-6 times a month so she can take one or both of her kids, or her husband, to the doctor's office. Seriously, she has never put in a full 40 hour week since she started working here a little over a year ago.

Maybe 1-2 mornings per month, the single secretary will come in looking very tired, saying she was in the ER the night before with one or both of her kids. I hate to say this, but some visits don't sound like emergency visits to me. [One time she told us the ER nurse said her 3 year old son was constipated and to stop feeding him so much cheese. I laughed because I know I’ve read that more than once on the medblogs]. Single secretary is here everyday, usually 15 minutes early.

Guess which secretary we like the best?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

On behalf of the secretaries of the world, I salute you!

That said, back when I was married to idiot-head, I missed more work than I do now due to the fact that a) he refused to have any hand in the doctor's appointments for the kids or caring for them when they were sick, and b) my parents didn't help with it because they thought, oddly, that their FATHER should be assisting in that manner.

Sheesh. Well, there's a reason the man is an ex.

But anyway, now that I have other adults willing to shore up the parental resources, I manage to hit a 40 hour week 90% of the time. Yay :)

Oh and I so hear you on the Jumping the Shark thing. I think my blog is on an endless loop over it at the moment, although today I actually put up a post about a *gasp* medically related issue! Granted, it's a total rant about my now-former GYN, but at least it's somewhat on topic, LOL.