Tuesday, June 17, 2008

It’s like YouTube for Surgeons!

Or maybe YouTube for people who like to watch surgery. I received an e-mail today from the director of SurgyTec.com. He thought I might like to watch surgery videos. (Okay, it was a spamish type e-mail, but it had a personal feel to it... and I'm sure if he knew I was a woman, he wouldn't have called me Sir.) His description of the site:

It’s a video-sharing site for surgeons and medical professionals to show off their newly minted skills. It makes it easy for medical professionals to upload videos or slideshows and share those with the community. We can search for videos by specialty, organ/region, tissue, etiology, operation type, or technique. Many surgeons perform original and high-quality techniques in their operating room and equally many surgeons would like to learn from these new and inspiring techniques. Up till now it was very difficult, time consuming and expensive to take a look in each others operating room and share practical knowledge, tips and tricks.

I dunno, it might be a little advanced for me, but it might be interesting to someone who knows about these things, or just likes to watch people get cut up.

I have to confess, I really, really, really want to stitch someone up. When I first started reading the medblogs, I looked into ordering the instruments I would need to teach myself how to suture. I had big dreams of playing doctor with a pig’s foot.


P.S. Speaking of my medblog addiction beginnings, any mention of surgery always brings me back to my favorite post: Dr. Schwab's Taking Trust. He captured my heart with this post and my blog has been the unofficial Dr. Schwab fan club site ever since. Of course, I've had to tone down the Dr. Schwab ass-kissing after receiving endless teasing about it, but we all know nothing's changed.

9 comments:

jmb said...

Well you know that you have a secretary/treasurer for that fan club any time you just whistle, don't you MbA? Nothing for ages and now three in one day!

Medblog Addict said...

Hi JMB. I've been writing, the posts just weren't showing up on Bloglines. I finally wrote them about it and they fixed it.

Carver said...

I'm scared to go to that site because I'll admit that the idea of watching a surgery is not on my list of fun things to do. The one time I had a local for minor surgery and was awake, I was grateful for the curtain they pulled around me so I couldn't see what they were doing.

Sid Schwab said...

Oh stop. You just like me because everyone else in my family are lawyers.

Besides, as you'll see, I'm staggering to the finish line. Just trying to make it to two years.

Medblog Addict said...

JMB and Carver-y'all have a nice summer.

Dr. Schwab, am I gonna have to kick your ass again? You can't stop blogging on June 30, it would break my heart. How about if you just took a short break? Or maybe took your blog in a new direction for a while. You once mentioned an interest in writing about food or restaurants...how about a special summer edition of your blog, full of political rants and food posts? You don't have to write surgical all the time, we like everything you write.

Sid Schwab said...

If you kick my ass, you better not be wearing strapless panties.

saf said...

OK, this brings a lurker out of the woodwork - a layperson who has had too much surgery, some quite recent. So I did some googling, and have been reading a few medblogs. And yes, I found Dr Schwab's blog. And yes, I read that post.

I do so hope he is representative. I do so hope those who cut me feel that way. I do so hope that those I have been reading (many following links off his blog, because it's one of the first you find when you search surgeon and blog) are representative.

Brenda said...

I'm not really into medical anything ... but I've been enjoying your posts! You've a great open, personal style that's a fun, easy read!

Dr.Fox said...

well..that is a problem nowadays.they should find a way to know if the person one is emailing is a male or a female.
medical you tubes are spreading so much nowadays.
I googled for "medical videos" and found american site as the first result called www.medicalvideos.us
looks nice amd rich with blood stuff.