Sunday, July 13, 2008

Cat


I am sitting here crying over the death of a cat I knew for only five days. It’s weird, I recently suffered a loss in my personal life and couldn’t cry over that, but I can cry over this cat.

Five days ago, a stray black and white cat walked into my life. He was just fur and bones, but I knew I could fatten him up. He was so lovable and I couldn't wait to start spoiling him.

We took him to the vet where everyone oooh’ed and ahhh’d over him and called him a handsome cat. I knew they were just being nice but it made me feel good anyway.

The vet said he was an old cat and had some health problems. The plan was to get him strong again, then just pamper him for the final years of his life.

He did okay the first few days, but it was clear he was suffering last night. Early this morning, we took him to the emergency clinic.

The vet was very nice and said all of the right things to make us feel good about our decision to end the handsome old cat’s suffering.

But it still hurts.

13 comments:

Hey, You said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Bless you for trying to help this helpless creature.

Brenda said...

Having compassion isn't always easy ... still I wish the world had more of it. A few million more people like you and we'd have heaven right here on earth!

Mauigirl said...

So sad. At least his last few days were filled with kindness.

We've had similar experiences - for awhile I felt as if we were a cat hospice. It's very hard but it always made me feel good that these cats at least found love before they died.

Medblog Addict said...

Thanks, y’all. I know there are a lot worse problems to have, but this has been tough on me.

Writing his story helped and I really appreciate your kind words. Y’all are great.

jmb said...

Oh MbA that is so sad for you. I am so sorry. You did your best, although I know that is no consolation for you.

SeaSpray said...

I'm sorry MbA. It's sad whenever we lose an animal. He was lucky to have you loving him for his last few days.

I am sorry about your other loss too.

Resident Anesthesiologist Guy (RAG) said...

Sometimes we mourn through animals better than we do with humans. At least the cat knew comfort at the end.

Carver said...

I'm sorry MBA. That is so hard. I think grief is grief and we can express it over different losses. Take care.

Medblog Addict said...

Hi JMB, Sprout, RAG, and Carver. Thank you so much for your comments.

The vet from the emergency clinic called last night to see how I was doing, then he asked me if I wanted a 3-legged kitten that they had just treated. I told him I would have to think about it.

Leonora said...

How very sad for you!

Without you, his last days would have been miserable and full of suffering.

It must have been such a disappointment for it to end like this.

Medblog Addict said...

Hi Leonora, thank you.

I'm feeling a lot better about things now, but I decided I'm not ready to adopt the kitten.

make mine trauma said...

The cat found you for a reason and you fulfilled it.
The secret to life?

Devorrah said...

I'm sorry about your kitty. Animal lives are special, even if we're only in them for a short time.